Monday, March 14, 2011

Strathmore Workshop II -Start Where You Are

I started the 2nd workshop from the Strathmore Visual Journal series over the weekend.  It's called Start Where You Are by Linda Blinn.  I find her instruction really easy to follow.  So the pictures I'm showing are from a lesson about graduated pages...cutting the pages so they are not all the same to add interest to the book.  
The first 2 pages are the normal size....
These flowers are done with stencils, background with water soluble crayons, charcoal pencil for shadow and collage.

The next 2 pages....
The page on the left is an inch narrower than the previous page.  The page on the right is 2 inches narrower....

The next pages...

As you can see, the "tree" page is very narrow.  The pages on the left are "connected" by the colors and patterns chosen to make interesting edges...

And the last two pages....
 I decided the tree page would flip from summer to fall...and the bird page is actually a napkin.  

As I was doing these pages, I started thinking about a very old song (so how do I know that song....) at any rate..."Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees....etc. etc.  

When I flip the next page over, the bird page, I'll be back to two normal size pages and I think on these it would be fun to illustrate another stanza in the song....maybe a scene at a drive in movie....I don't know....will have to see what develops...


Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees
And the flowers and the trees
And the moon up above
And a thing called "Love" 

No comments: