Saturday, November 10, 2012

What A Week....

Trees fell into my yard
after Super Storm Sandy

And then we had a nor'easter
that dropped several inches of snow
Branch from fallen trees
Bird in a tree
This has been the most incredible couple of weeks I've had since moving to New England in the early '70's. We've weathered many storms, but nothing like we've had here recently.  Never thought we'd have a repeat of what we had at the exact same time last year.  Days without power.  Huge trees toppled like bowling pins...the sights are shocking and unnerving.  CT is full of large old trees. Did I tell you I hate wind!!  I can't listen to it.    I can't even imagine what it's like for people that live in NJ and Long Island.  Yes, big trees fell in my backyard....but they didn't come crashing down on my house.
So the first picture in this series shows you some of the toppled trees and then the snow.  I took a large branch from one of my toppled trees and decided to stick it in an umbrella stand, plant it in my kitchen and put white lights on it.  I stuck lots of American flags in the base.  It's not about Christmas....it's more a "celebration" of having lights again.  The things we take for granted.  And I put a fabric bird in it that I bought at the Pottery Barn last year.  Who knows how long I'll keep this tree lit....could be for a very long time.

1 comment: