Sunday, April 21, 2013

Don't Overthink Your Art

Altered Book

 I got the latest issue of Coastal Living in my mailbox this week (I don't live on the water...) and it has some wonderful recipes for a Cinco de Mayo type of celebration.  Empanadas!  I love empanadas and I can't even recall if I've ever made them ....so if I did...it was ....a very long time ago. I picked up the necessary ingredients to make some this weekend.  I know it's not Cinco de Mayo...but I was practicing...and the empanadas turned out great!  When I was a child, we lived in Madrid and I have a charm bracelet with a Cinco de Mayo charm on it...my birthday is in May.  None of this has anything to do with the painting!   

Today's art isn't about the subject...it's about trying to be a little bit more free with my art...the 'just do it'....finding my inner child with no pre-conceived ideas about what the empanadas should look like or anything else on the pages.  I just started putting down color.  My favorite colors always show up...red, blue & yellow.  I didn't want to worry about shade and shadow or perspective...ohh to spend an afternoon with Matisse!  
Close up:
 

 



 

1 comment:

Gwen Buchanan said...

So true, Being Free is the key!