Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Word Journal - The Cover

In A Word
I've been playing with my new word journal- altered book.  The cover of this book is actually a royal blue.  I gessoe'd it and when I first used this stencil that was in the scrapbooking section of Michael's, I did the spaces in different colors of sage green, pale orange, golden yellow....and I didn't like it at all...it just didn't "pop"...and it didn't speak to me.  So...the beauty of gesso....I covered it all over, added a coat of white paint and then did the holes in black.

Do you remember those black and white composition books we all grew up with in school?  Well...I think of this as sort of my version.  I spent last night cutting words out of whatever I could find...magazines, catalogs, etc., and these are what I came up with.  There is no connection to the words...they are just random...but I do like all of them.

I haven't decided on the back cover yet, but it might just be the reverse of this...I'm working on another inside page at the moment....playing with words...

No comments: