Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas Rewind....

 ...the rewind
Mirror reflection


My Favorite Things
Christmas for me is always a roller coaster of emotions.  It begins with the boxes in the attic that hold all of the decorations.  The reminders of Christmas' past when I was a child, up through when my son was a child, to present time when you reminisce about it all...lots of stories exchanged and remembering those no longer here.  I set the table with a vintage looking post card, napkins from my neighbor (something new!) and I remember shopping for that china with my mother back in the early '70's.
A glimpse at the table...the red water goblets belonged to my mother, grandmother...and possibly my great-grandmother, but I'm not sure about that.
I didn't take photos of the food...we changed it up this year by having braised short ribs, new potatoes, green peas...so delicious.  We had a berry crisp with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream for dessert. 

Virginia's Baby Cup
Virginia was my mother's mother (my middle name), who died before my parents were married.  Based on the time period when she was born, I'm guessing Virginia was a popular name back in the late 1890's, when that famous editorial appeared in The Sun, a NY newspaper , in response to a letter from an 8 yr old girl named Virginia, asking if there was a Santa Claus. Speculation on my part...but the timing is right. So this baby cup is one of my favorite things.
More of my favorites in the kitchen cabinet...old and new.


....and more on the mantel.

...and more...

It was great having my sister, Dianne and Steve here, and of course, my son, Tom...who is the best gift of all. 



No comments: