Monday, February 2, 2015

Prayer Flag - Work in Progress


Send My Prayers on Wings of Angels
Acrylics, paper fabric, paper beads,
metal ephemera, muslin background

I am having so much fun doing this piece.  I have so many ideas for prayer flags!  I've always considered my art journaling a meditative process.  It allows you to dig deeper into yourself and express yourself in ways that it's hard to explain.  Lent is just around the corner and I'm working with a friend to introduce prayer flags as a Lenten practice at my church.  I'm not preaching religion here as I think everyone's spiritual side is very personal.  Creating prayer flags is a way of getting in touch with both my creative side and my spiritual side.  

On the flag above, the first thing I did was to paint the background.  (the ephemera isn't sewn here yet...just getting an idea of placement).


 The words on this flag just came to me and I immediately wrote them down because I knew I would forget this thought.  So the phrase came first.  The wings I bought at an art workshop from a vendor and they've been in my stash, just waiting for the right time to bring them out.  The angel's dress is made from paper fabric.  I made this a couple of years ago.  It's using tissue paper (already printed) and muslin and bonding it to create the paper.  I sewed some beads to the skirt.  

I rubber stamped the words to the muslin and stitched the pieces to the art.  
Lastly, I sewed the metal ephemera to the piece and added some extra gold stars with a rubber stamp.  The lower part of the painted background has metallic paint in it.  The paper beads are made out of magazine covers.  Easy to do while watching TV!  Not only that, but you can write a few words on a piece of paper and roll it up into the bead....a private place to keep your prayer(s).  How I'm going to finish this off, I haven't decided yet.

No comments: