Thursday, February 25, 2016

WORD JOURNAL - Mockingbird



Mockingbird
Mixed Media - Altered Book
5 x 8" book

I started this altered book several years ago and I took it out of my cabinet the other day and decided to revisit it.  It still has some pages left....As you can see, the word I chose for this layout is mockingbird.  The New York Times had a huge spread on Harper Lee's obituary on February 20.  They also had a photocopy of the original review of her book, To Kill A Mockingbird from 1960.  I remember reading that book back in the day.  And the movie adaptation was one of those movies that really captured her book.  That doesn't always happen.  So I couldn't just throw her obituary out.  I saved some of it.  It's just my way of marking something important...glueing it on the page if you will.  I added a window...her view of the world, what she shared, what she thought?  On the left side page, I painted a mockingbird on a watercolor postcard and stitched it as a pocket where I could tuck in the 1960 book review.   


So that's my tribute to Harper Lee....maybe gone, but never forgotten.  Oddly enough, the name of the book that I am altering here is ...Time Expired.....

No comments: