Sunday, March 20, 2016

THE TOWER OF BABEL

ART JOURNAL
The Tower of Babel
Watercolors and Pen
I just love art journaling.  Sometimes the ideas in my head are flying so fast that I can't get the art down in my journal fast enough.  Of course, sometimes I have no ideas at all!  What's been going on in my head is this current political atmosphere we're in (for lack of a better word) and the fact that communication has been a problem since the beginning of time....and it isn't getting any better.  New technology does not necessarily translate to better communication.  That's my opinion.  I pulled out my watercolors (kind of a new medium for me to play with) and did a rough sketch of my vision of the Tower of Babel.  
What I wrote across the top of this page says...
"...a united humanity of the generations following the Great Flood, speaking a single language and migrating from the east...they agreed to build a city and tower; seeing this, God confounded their speech so that they could no longer understand each other and scattered them around the world."  (Book of Genesis myth, Wikipedia).
On opposite journal page

In my mind, these two pages, while totally different artistically, are connected.  At least that is my intention.  
Around her face I wrote, "Really listening to someone is a very tender and precious gift."  (I read that in a Jan Karon novel).  But it's so true. The other
writing on this page that I wrote says, "The world has a problem with communication...."
Here is how the pages look side by side.  The tree of life behind her head I tore from one of my practice journals...well, all of my journals are practice!  The moral of my art today is....we didn't figure it out in ancient times....and we still can't figure it out today.  

No comments: