Wednesday, January 6, 2016

NOT MY NORMAL POST....

Art Journal
Mixed Media
So this is my first post since I retired on December 31.  My mind has been like a spinning top.  One of the challenges I am having....can't speak for everyone, is giving myself permission to actually not feel guilty about still being in pj's at 9am, enjoying my coffee...leisurely...coloring in my new coloring book (more on that)...just not always feeling like I am shifting from 1st to 2nd gear...I can take my time.  As I type this, I'm trying to convince myself!  Don't get me wrong...I like this...it's just readjusting how I look at everything.  I can tell you that going to the grocery store on Monday morning felt just strange!!!  
Back to the art....
As crazy as this may sound, one of the inspirations for my first art in the new year was an obituary I read in my local newspaper.  The woman's obituary reminded me of how precious life is and even though she suffered from a serious disease (MS)...she lived her life to the fullest.  So I put her obituary in my journal....
Many years ago, I read a woman's obituary in the NY Times and she was so ahead of her time...it was a fascinating read....I still regret not saving that because I have no idea what her name was.  Mary Margaret, the woman above, faced life head-on.  I wish I were that gutsy.  She visited Antarctica in a research vessel!

Wonder what she would think of being remembered in my journal...someone I never knew, but totally admire.


The line over the masthead from our local newspaper was timely as well....it says:  "The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." --A. Einstein.  And last but not least on the page from Epiphany Sunday at church....my word glued on the page is openness.  Oh brother...that is certainly something I have trouble with.  Of all of the words in the basket to reach for...how did I get that one!  Well...this post is pretty open....
Moving on...I picked up one of those adult coloring books yesterday....


Of all of the coloring books at Barnes and Noble, and there were many, I chose Color Me Happy.  If the title doesn't grab you, the pages inside will.  There is a portable version (above) that I chose.  It's about 6 x 8, and easy to carry around with you, but it also comes in the standard size as well.  I've colored my first page and am well into my 2nd.  Here's the 1st page...



 One thing...I don't want it to detract from my time doing original art....but geez, it's fun!  I highly recommend having one of these.  That's it for now.  I can't sit here all day on the computer!

No comments: